POLLER DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE [restored]

Learn what's new on the UO Gateway site
Red Squirrel

POLLER DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE [restored]

Post by Red Squirrel »

Unfortunately we ran into an issue and the old poller will not compile on the new server.  Giving lot of dependency related issues.  I was already working on a new one which unfortunately uses most of the same dependencies so it may not fix the issue but either way it was not completed and needs to be mostly rewritten.

I will need to rewrite the poller and I have tons of other projects on the go right now so I can't promise any ETA.

So unfortunately UOG will remain crippled for a while till I can get around to rewriting the poller. I will try to expedite that project but I can't promise anything as I have lot of other large projects on the go.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:200
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Kyn

Re: POLLER DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Post by Kyn »

Red Squirrel wrote: Unfortunately we ran into an issue and the old poller will not compile on the new server.  Giving lot of dependency related issues.  I was already working on a new one which unfortunately uses most of the same dependencies so it may not fix the issue but either way it was not completed and needs to be mostly rewritten.

I will need to rewrite the poller and I have tons of other projects on the go right now so I can't promise any ETA.

So unfortunately UOG will remain crippled for a while till I can get around to rewriting the poller. I will try to expedite that project but I can't promise anything as I have lot of other large projects on the go.
Shoot me an email: Kyn@uoportal.com

I'd be happy to help you - You are even welcome to use the UO Portal poller if you'd like, though it is done entirely through MySQL / PHP

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:201
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I had a new poller planed anyway, so I just need to finish it and find a way around the two dependencies so that I can make it more portable and less system dependent so I don't have future issues when I move servers again.

What I may end up doing is using some php calls so I can get rid of both the libpng dependency and the mysql++ one. 

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:202
Kyn

Post by Kyn »

Red Squirrel wrote: I had a new poller planed anyway, so I just need to finish it and find a way around the two dependencies so that I can make it more portable and less system dependent so I don't have future issues when I move servers again.

What I may end up doing is using some php calls so I can get rid of both the libpng dependency and the mysql++ one.
Sounds like a plan. Should you require assistance let me know :)

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:203
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Is the poller fully functioning again?  Vote counts are adding up but I wasn't sure if it was a testing phase or what.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:204
Developer, Whispering Pines shard
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I've been at work so did not get a chance to look at poller yet.  And now I'm sick like a dog with a nasty cold.  I'm thinking it will probably be at least another 2 weeks or so till I look at it unfortunately.  I do have a week off at end of November so I should be able to drill through if it's not done by then.

Once I get it to compile and run, coding in the actual logic should not be too hard, most of it is already there.  I did want to rewrite the graph portion though as the png library I was using has a huge memory leak and I think now it's actually the one giving me lib errors as it's too old.  The downside of C++/Linux... shared libraries / dependency hell.  They really need to come up with a better system for that.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:205
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Doh!  Brain cramp -- in my haste I mistook the poller for the voting mechanism.  *returns to the shadows*

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:206
Developer, Whispering Pines shard
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah they're two separate things as the voting just uses the web site portion so that works no problem.  They use the same database though but poller is a C++ app that runs in the background.  Actually another thing I need to fix is account management.  For some weird reason there's a file that went missing in my dev, test, prod and all my backups.  That's why the page does not load.  It's just a mail function which is used to send the email so worse case scenario I'll just recode it. I'll have to pull my cold backups to see if it's in there.  Weirdest thing ever and I'm wondering if it's been like that for a long time and I just noticed now.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:207
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'm getting a bit of progress.  Have not been able to get it to work at all in my dev/test environment but I did get to a point on prod where I'm just getting regular compile errors and no library based errors.  Now the kicker is it seems they went and changed stuff and code that was once legal is no longer legal, so it wont compile because it's complaining.  But once I can figure out another way of doing that as a bandage I can get the poller partially working on live.  The graphs wont work but the stats will, so when the graphs DO work, it will pickup the new stats.

Also you may notice oddities in the shard list as I ran it a while ago with some dummy code that just defaults the poll to fail, and it made all the shards vanish, so I put them all back including really old entries.  But if you sort by votes it should look mostly the same.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:208
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Running first poll test.  You may notice polls from IP 47.55.17.57.    Do not be alarmed.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:209
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Not exactly poller related but I had mentioned that the account management system was not working. The page is now loading and it should now be working.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:210
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Poller is partially online.  The text stats should start to update soon.  If you click a shard and the "stats last updated" is 300secs or less then it's being updated.  It can partially go past 300 but it's just because the update does not get committed to the DB right away, so it's normal to see like 340 or so then it will jump to like 40.  Still tweaking the way the updates get done though so this could change.  This is still considered testing as I have not even tested anything such as memory leaks and general reliability, but figured I'd at least get this going on live right away.

The list should soon start to display correct online players and such.  The graphs and "online" graphics will still be out of date though as I have to rewrite the image generation using libpng directly.  Did not start on that  yet.  The red/green indicator on main listings will update though.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:211
Red Squirrel

Re: POLLER DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE [partially restored]

Post by Red Squirrel »

There seems to be a segfault issue (those are always fun to track down :() but I'm off this week so I'm hoping to tackle that and the graphs, then hopefully by end of week we'll be good to go.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:212
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Good news, I've been working on a png wrapper class that uses libpng directly.  this is for the graphs.  The wrapper class is mostly in good order, just got carried away adding other features to it as I may use it for other stuff in the future.  I still need to implement some form of text/font system and at that point I will be able to work on getting the graphs to work again.

I could easily reimplemented the existing graphs but they were kind of lacking, so I will probably redesign them to look nicer.  I don't have too many days off between now and Christmas, so chances are this will only end up happening after Christmas.

The poller itself has been running fairly well though, and keeping up.  I still need to try to reproduce that random segfault issue though.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:214
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I did not forget this, just got really busy... did not do much progress since last update.  It's in my todo list!  Once I have some type of font system working I'll be able to do graphs.  What's making this take a big longer too is when I'm coding this kind of stuff I'm doing it with code reuse in mind.  So next program I write where I need to do something similar I can reuse the code.  I have a general idea how I want to handle the fonts though, to keep it simple, I'll probably do similar to LCD displays.  Since it's my own custom class incorporating actual font/text would overcomplicate things, and potentially introduce a dependency in the system which the whole point of this was to avoid.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:220
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

UPDATE!

I've successfully implemented true type fonts into my png library.  I was going to get fancy and try to make it so I can make slanted fonts and what not but could not get that to work but I got right to left and top to bottom working and that's good enough for me.

I was going to write a generic graphing library but then I started thinking, each particular scenario where I may want to make a graph will change, so it's easier to just write the code for the specific purpose instead of trying to make a one class fits all deal.

So I am now going to rewrite the existing graphic code of the poller to use my new png library.  If all goes well I should be able to run this through some testing for a bit then release it.

ETA is mid March, for now, assuming I don't run into issues.

Later on I may enhance the graphs, but for now the goal will be to just get them working how they were before. 

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:225
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Graphs are now working!

Added some minor enhancement like time stamp, which is kinda important considering there was no X axis indication of time.  Enhanced them graphic wise as well.  May enhance them even more in the future but they'll do for now.

This is still considered testing phase but I think it will be good as I did lot of testing.

There is a random crash issue I need to figure out, this was happening even before I added graph support and I have a general idea what is crashing, just need to debug it further and find out the root cause.  I get an alert on my phone when it goes down and often if I'm at a computer I just reset it and it's barely noticeable.  I could probably automate that but it's better to actually fix it. :P I'll get on that.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:75, old post ID:226