[May 22 2017] - 2 hour planned outage [complete]

Stay up to date with shard happenings
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Some time tomorrow I will be doing some renovations that will involve moving some fibre optic wiring around which will cause a shard outage. I don't plan to actually take the shard down, so normal stuff like plants, idocs etc will continue to cycle as normal but you won't be able to connect. I will probably have to reboot it after as the shard IP list only gets updated at startup and the IP will probably change. I will update this post ahead of time when I'm about to pull the plug, and if anyone is online I'll give a warning in game too to give time to retreat.

I have not really decided on a time, I may even do it really late tonight, but I will update the post when I get to it. Basically I'm insulating my basement and I need to completely remove the ONT equipment that's on the wall so I can put the insulation and vapour barrier behind it. I will probably relocate it to another area at same time since it's currently in the hot aisle and it's really tight back there.

It will probably take less than 2 hours but figured that's a safe window to set.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6695, old post ID:39004
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Uhh the current downtime is not me, not sure what happened (its internet not the shard itself) so I will investigate then do the move after.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6695, old post ID:39005
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Ok so there is an Internet issue in my area, funny timing since I was making changes in my firewall the other day so it had me worried. Not sure of etr, but I will proceed with move anyway in about an hour.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6695, old post ID:39006
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Started on the job. Turns out I cant move it since I foamed over the fibre. Ooops. So going to install vapour barrier and put it back.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6695, old post ID:39007
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Outage is now complete, shard is back up!

I was unable to move the ONT to a new location but still had to temporary remove the plywood and ONT off the wall so I can insulate and add vapour barrier behind it, so did that and then put it back where it was. All is good.

Pics for those curious: (kinda tight behind there)

Need to finish that wall but will do that another day. Just wanted to get the part where the ONT is over with.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6695, old post ID:39008