[Apr 27 2017] - Unexpected server outage [back up]

Stay up to date with shard happenings
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

We have a huge storm passing through and the power went out. I'm at work now and can't do anything but it looks like we lost the server, I lost connectivity to all my servers. I am hoping it is a fibre cut and not the batteries depleting as it would indicate that our run time is way lower than it should be, and it would also cause lot of damage to the servers for them to go down hard.

Server will most likely remain down for at least a day as I'm at work and can't do anything until I get back and then I have to sleep so I can go to my next shift. If we are lucky it's just a fibre cut, that will mean the servers are still running so less chance of hardware damage.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6693, old post ID:38995
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Server is back up! This confirms that it was not a power issue but rather a network one.

Power came back shortly then went back out. I may end up having to shut down servers anyway.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6693, old post ID:38996
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

It looks like power is back up now.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6693, old post ID:38997
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Well I just discovered something interesting with my ONT. I think it has a 2 hour timer where it will turn off the ethernet portion but keep the land line up. I guess to conserve battery as land line is considered more important than internet as far as life safety etc. So this explains the server going down when we had that power outage.

I may have to look at putting the ONT on the big UPS, but since it has a built in UPS and the big UPS is not pure sine wave, I can't just plug it in there. So I'll have to look into another way of doing it.

Honestly not too worried as 2 hours will cover pretty much any major power outage that we typically get. It's rare we get them that last longer.

In the far future I do want to move to a 48v dual conversion system that uses pure sine wave so at that point I'll hook it up to that system.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6693, old post ID:39000