Automated Donation System - taking suggestions for items

Information on new updates to the shard as well as what's to come
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hoping to release this some time tomorrow.

I'm adding the actual item entries now, and then I will do a last test of the system, and it should be good to go.

If the Paypal portion goes smooth, then the system will be considered live shortly after it's been confirmed.

For now I will add the existing items only, but I will be going through suggestions and possibly adding more items over time.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:37263
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Pushed update to TC1. The stone can be found in luna, same spot as the old one that brought you to the donation page. (blue stone next to the orange one).

From the testing I've done, it is production worthy. Feel free to check out the gump and items. $1 gives 100 points.

If you want to test the actual donation part, PM me and it can be done on TC1. The points will go to the live database but once I push to live, it will go through.

If anyone wants to test, but does not want to donate, I am willing to do a refund, just let me know. If anyone wants points in order to test the system further on TC1, let me know as well.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:37264
The Dr Thunder

Post by The Dr Thunder »

Red Squirrel wrote:Hoping to release this some time tomorrow.

I'm adding the actual item entries now, and then I will do a last test of the system, and it should be good to go.

If the Paypal portion goes smooth, then the system will be considered live shortly after it's been confirmed.

For now I will add the existing items only, but I will be going through suggestions and possibly adding more items over time.
there has to be new items added or else you will not generate any donations. Maybe a few people will buy something just cause there are new buttons to push or a new way of doing it, but really it comes down to the stuff on the donation page has already been bought by those who wanted to buy it. The only person I see riding a real live horse is d, and that is a faction animal. EVERYONE has an ethy. Anyone who would have bought decoration has bought it already. The forge is great but overpriced by about $10-15 in my opinion, and I have one. The anvil really has no use except for maybe burning runics on the fly. The anniversary weapons and armor do not compare to what you can get in game. The only somewhat useful items are the Roses of Trinsic because they grow purple petals, however I am not sure if that is implemented on Valor. If you can confirm this, I MIGHT donate for one.

Some of us on valor have decent jobs, our own paypal accts, and family members(wives, parents, etc) that do not care if we donate $40 to an online game. However, I would assume that most players are younger and would be crazy if they asked mom to donate $40 for something. You need cheaper, limited use or temporary items.

[list:85d28e5f74]Stuff that can be bought for $1;
Pet bonding deeds
Pvp Anywhere deeds
Sturdy and Garg pickaxes(5 or 10 for $1)
Sturdy shovels(10 for $1)
Reapers Axes(5 or 10 for $1)
Prospector Tools

Stuff that is a little more expensive $2-$5
Decorative furniture or containers
Plants (fully grown, just lock down and water)
Fire beetles
Event based slayers(2011 Turkey Slayer, 2011 Dark Elf Slayer)
most Anniversary items (really, the stuff isn't that great or overpowering)
maybe the sami hat and legs of embers could be $5-$10

More expensive stuff
Gold checks
Skill deeds
Ethys
Some decoration items
How about a deed that summons a boss monster, like Dread Horn. I would buy one of those from time to time to make a mini-event.
a deed that makes the town criers proclaim Dr Thunder is awesome every 5 minutes[/list]

Before you just dismiss this post as me trying to get the prices down on most items, think about it. No one is buying them, your price is higher than the demand. Mcdonalds could try to sell a cheeseburger for $10, and the projected profits would skyrocket... but there would be NO profit if no one bought that cheeseburger. Valor is making no profit, it isnt even breaking even. I would donate on a regular basis if I could get items that I need/want and were a good value. I feel bad for you Ryan, funding valor out of your own pocket. However I can't justify it to myself to buy an ethy every month, or buy decoration items that will just sit in a house that will go idoc if I take another break from UO.

You need people to buy your stuff, but you need people to buy your stuff first in order to make other people want to buy your stuff. Ponder that for a second. If I see Keltrick running around with a silly bunny ears Samurai Helm, my ego will persuade me to buy one. And if we both are bank sitting with the bunny ears helms, well then maybe someone else will want one. Someone will say, "Hey, that 15DCI is nice and the resists are pretty good, I can substitute that bunny hat for my Kasa and have a better suit." Just putting items up for donation might not create demand, and putting up items for high prices will definitely not stir up demand.

Get the tools out there to motivate people to go mining or lumberjacking, then they will use their crafters and do BODs. Just a few more miners or crafters on the server will bring the player count up to at least 10 when people log on. Having a double digit player count is a huge improvement.
Improve in small steps, small goals, and the people will come.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:37266
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

The Dr Thunder wrote: there has to be new items added or else you will not generate any donations. Maybe a few people will buy something just cause there are new buttons to push or a new way of doing it, but really it comes down to the stuff on the donation page has already been bought by those who wanted to buy it.
What he said.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:37267
I didn't choose the Fel life, the Fel life chose me.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'm not done yet, one step at a time. Like I said, I do plan to add more items.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:37269
Ixxie

Post by Ixxie »

Extra pet control slot? Or alternatively, make it so that ethereal mounts don't cost you a control slot?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:38388
Death

Post by Death »

Ixxie wrote:Extra pet control slot? Or alternatively, make it so that ethereal mounts don't cost you a control slot?
I wouldnt add that as a reward/donation item as that does give quite an advantage over others.

However, I debated for awhile, that globally changing the control slots to 6 would be much better as it is more easily divisible than 5:

One 6-slot pet
One 5-slot pet and One 1-slot pet
One 4-slot pet and One 2-slot pet
One 4-slot pet and Two 1-slot pets
Two 3-slot pets
Three 2-slot pets
Six 1-slot pets
Etc....

This would allow a lot more flexibility in pet pairings and would not be problematic as some pets and summons we would just increase or decrease the slot requirement as needed.

With some testing and configuration i wouldnt be against adding this in as an improvement to slots but would have to see red's opinion before pursuing this.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:38389
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I would not see an issue with it. We could either just outright change it, or maybe add some kind of requirement, like make it a vet reward, or require a certain skill.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:38390
Ixxie

Post by Ixxie »

i'm pmuch for anything that lets me have an ancient wyrm and not have to walk. Because female characters look like we survived polio when we walk.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:38391
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

Beats not survivng polio.

(Which happens to be what female Wraith Form looks like.)

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6258, old post ID:38392
I didn't choose the Fel life, the Fel life chose me.