"The direction" of this forum

Post by Mr Smith »

Your right.

But what happened to this idea?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36662

Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I have to agree too, though that's kind of something hard to change, maybe if I code a few RSS bots that post stuff or something. But will it just be unread posts? hard to tell. Main issue is we need more members that join, and become full time.

Right now it's a slow period as I battle out the stuff going on, and prepare for another possible raid so registrations are turned off for now, but I will bring the registrations back online some time (without notice) but it does not mean this will stop the raids. I will still validate the members, just at times when I'm available to check up.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36678
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Stasi

Post by Stasi »

MrSelf wrote: There is nothing interesting to discuss here.

There is no intelligent conversation or debate, nothing to hold my interest here. I enjoy Science and Space, the old forum was somewhat active in that regard, but as it switched over, members were uninterested in this aspect. I quit posting as many topics others were uninterested in in fear of flooding the forum with topic overwhelmingly by me with no responses, as fcbayer has(at times duplicating old info).

I'm interested in computers, the section on computers has always been more advanced than my level, mainly because it's post have been geared more towards code and software than hardware. Spaz, Fragged and Magic kept that alive.

Music is my main interest, but music has always been a joke: few music fans post in there, there is little intelligent conversation, and no one is respectful of others opinions on something as subjective as music. It has been more successful as the media section, but that day is long past as well.

No one is interested in the News section, another interest of mine, and the Debate section has never been able to get far enough out of religious debate to actually debate anything of importance that wouldn't just end up at faith.

Overall, nothing that interest me is discussed here, and the things I do discuss often get flooded with opinions of those who are ignorance in the subject matter in discussion. I don't want to bore others, and I don't want to converse about non-sense all the time. I just seems like there is nothing worth talking about here by the members, and some of that is due to a low regular member count, but more of it has to do with the members and how they respond to each other, it seems.
Good post, MrSelf. I agree. It's just hard to get into many of the thread topics now. I started getting tired of the Debate forum after a period of time where it seemed that people kept dredging up the same topics (like anything having to do with homosexuality) and posting the same arguments, flames, and so on. Granted, topics are naturally revisted in time, but there were like three threads or so, all created within close chronological proximity to each other, when it should've been one. I think the whole William Wallace thing killed my interest in the debate forum as well, since I just couldn't stand how each topic would disintegrate into insults and other childish behavior.

I've tried starting threads here and elsewhere about my interests and they just don't get much action so why continue?

What we had in the old days that made all the difference:

-Active computer forums with meaningful threads on a variety of topics that saw regular participation from people with a variety of knowledge or skill.

-Friendly, sometimes lengthy conversations in WLT. Back in the good ol' days, we'd have Legend, fragged one, Minnie, Spaz, GreenEyes, Katina, and others in the WLT and there'd be like 3 or 4 new posts in the time you started and finished your own post.

-We actually had debates. Up until the beginning of this year, or the end of 2004, the debate forum was interesting. The same tired topics didn't get overdone. Shenbaw was the last member around who actively kept that stuff going and provided interesting points of view.

-Music discussion... yeah, there isn't much decent music discussion now. Last good one I had was like a year or more ago with MrSelf and Spaz about guitars, back when I was looking to get a C-1 Classic.

But, I can't rightly complain about all this and not try to kickstart some of this stuff, so that's what I'll do.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36841
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Yeah, after I read MrSelf's post, I found an article about the Supreme Court nominee and posted it. I will look for some science stuff that interests me, too. The debates were more active during the election time, and I agree that Shenbaw was quite a good contributor. I admit that my religious viewpoints would often take a debate in a religious direction, BUT I CAN'T HELP THAT.

I have thought of starting a thread in the strictly-on-topic debate section called Bookworm's Blog, so the blog idea is interesting to me.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36842
Stasi

Post by Stasi »

Bookworm wrote: I admit that my religious viewpoints would often take a debate in a religious direction, BUT I CAN'T HELP THAT.
And what you believe to be true shouldn't take a backseat when it's relevant in a debate. You seem to have a reasonable approach, too, re: religion, unlike Red, though I like the guy nonetheless.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36847
MrSelf

Post by MrSelf »

Perhaps us just trying harder will make an impact. Perhaps we can feed off of each other and make this place something special.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36949
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah I really need to get that blog system going.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36964
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

We need this kind of thing.
You post something, and the a.i. bot is programmed to respond. I like it. :didi:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38143
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

I dont think I'd like to talk to a robot.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38144
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I had it at Iceteks, it went out of control, the thing just went really dumb on us. :lol:

http://www.iceteks.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=2246&st=0&hl= :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38145
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

But it's funny.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38146
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah, I had thoughts of it, I might add it anyway, I should add two so they can talk to each other. :D

LOL the bot turns on us and raids the forum.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38147
Stasi

Post by Stasi »

Reaper wrote: We need this kind of thing.
You post something, and the a.i. bot is programmed to respond. I like it.  :didi:
I haven't been to the Chateau in ages....

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38154
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Same, really I don't know how they did it, they became so huge and yet they're only on a freevision type board.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38157
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

Freevision. . ?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38161
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

lol I meant invisionfree, but it's actually ibforums their on.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38167
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

Ah, OK.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:38176
fragged one

Post by fragged one »

i think this forum has gone into the shitcan...that's my personal opinion, though...

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:39766
no u!

Post by 000 »

fragged one wrote: i think this forum has gone into the shitcan...that's my personal opinion, though...
Indeed

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:39768
Jack Potato

Post by Jack Potato »

mmhm. :mellow:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:39906
fragged one

Post by fragged one »

blow me, anarchy...i've been a member of this forum longer than anyone else here right now other than magic (the forum's creator).

you've been here a month?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:40643
no u!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

And nearly have more posts than you already. Who's on here more? :rolleyes:

Blow you?... You wish... <_<

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:40715
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Watch out he is a mod... no wait, wtf. Was...

Out of all honesty this place is maybe only half as good as it used to be, but that's because so many of the pioneer members have left and it's probably why Magic had lost interest in the first place as the next hosting bill was coming up and it was dead here.

I'd have to say though that we are starting to go in a better direction. Maybe not the same as it used to be, but change is not always a bad thing. :) Once I get more time and stuff and do more improvements it may only get better.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:40736
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I must admit that even though i haven't been here longer than fragged... It does get a little tedious around here, what with all the random crap, rather than interesting convo.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:40740
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah it seems not enough activity happends in the other forums then anything goes. That's really the main issue I'd say.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:40743