"The direction" of this forum

Feedback, issues or suggestions for the forum
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

It seems some people may not be happy with the direction of the forum. I'm guessing mostly due to lack of posts, but that's got to ahve a reason somehow, that I hope I can solve. We have lost some valuble members in the past few years, it seems.

So I think I need to do something about this to avoid further loss, and perhaps make them want to come back. So any tips on wanted features, or what not, would be greatly apreciated. Unfortunatly since I work I won't have time to impliment much, but at least knowing what is wanted will give me an idea of what to do, and I may be able to impliment it if I find time, otherwise everything will wait till september, once I start college, as I'll have more time.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36003
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

Well we get an email when we pm somebody so, if we pm everybody were shure to get some people and I'll do my best on advertising.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36005

Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Tricky question that.

It seems that there was a bit of a lull in posting there a while ago, and then again recently it has picked up again. But many of these posts are just pointless bantar. "But thats what forums are all about" I hear yoou exclaim. True, but when its the same pointless bantar regurgitated over and over again it gets tedious.
Thats probably the reason Sintekk left (though I dont think he ever gave any suggestions as to how to improve it).

To help improve it, I'm not too sure. A custom skin might help. It might get the guests to stay and have a look around rather then just seeing another internet forum. Then, maybe less of the off topic-ness especially outside of Anything Goes (even though off topic posts are often the most entertaining).

Maybe some new features to the place, I've no idea whats available, but maybe Blogs for members who want them or an arcade or something else that could be implemented. A possible return of the Welcome Newbies Forum might encourage new members to stay and post.

And, a way to improve the forum for me would be to lighten up on the censors. I'm not too sure what the limits are, but it bugs me a bit whn I post the lyrics to a song or something and Fudge appears in it. Its the big bad world of the internet, if someone is so easily offended over a few words then the net really isnt the place for them.

EDIT: Also, there has been alot of talk of this "direction of the forum", yet I have no clue as to what the direction is. Again Sintekk said it was the forums direction that made him leave, but never said what that direction was.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36006
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill
OLKMED

Post by OLKMED »

I like the blog idea, there are definitely times when i want to get stuff off my mind that would cause drama if i said it out loud among my friends here.

....not that i'm a drama queen, i've just......oh dangit you've got me. I live for my general hospital. Alkazar why can't you just give up your mafia and be a good guy because somewhere beneath the layer of hair styling wax and those baggy things under your eyes i know you are a sexy super hunk waiting for a good woman.... :didi:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36021
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Actually the blog is something I had in mind as well, just the thing of implimenting it. :D Would not be super hard or anything. more long then hard. Probably a 2 week job now, or a 2 day job once I don't work and go to college. :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36030
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

We need a place to flame! I'm on GTAB it has almost 17000 members in 3 years. What do they have? A war zone, and GANGS!!!(Or Clans) Gangs are a great idea that would make people feel important or a part of something. And a war zone is really fun to say what you need to say about people. So I think people would join and stay if we had that. We should give it a shot.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36034

Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm I can always turn the debate into a war zone. :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36036
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

Yep or just make another forum.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36038

Post by 000 »

Mr Smith wrote: and GANGS!!!(Or Clans) Gangs are a great idea that would make people feel important or a part of something.
:huh:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36047
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

Take a look. www.gtaboards.com

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36049

Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Ganstas, WE GIT R DONE™ YO!

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36055
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

Say it one more time and I'll kill you and your squirrel family.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36062

Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

:lol: Squirrel family scared. I'll have to stop saying GIT R DONE for maximum protection.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36071
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

This would probably be a good place to try change the "direction" of the forum. The last few posts would be happier in WLT. They're n ot really helping the thread topic.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36078
Sir Winston Churchill
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

hmm true.

Somehow we need to really enforce on topicness, but that's way against the culture of this forum, so it's something really hard to do, but I think it does have to be done somehow.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36079
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Red Squirrel wrote: hmm true.

Somehow we need to really enforce on topicness, but that's way against the culture of this forum, so it's something really hard to do, but I think it does have to be done somehow.
Well Anything Goes can still keep the complete randomness of some of the best topics here, while everywhere else (joke forum excluded) there should be a fair degree of moderation without it becoming Nazi-ish.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36080
Sir Winston Churchill
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Shingami wrote: Okay, finally, my first-

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYAHEHEAYAYAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!

HASSAN'D
Aw bless. Poor little troll had to edit a post that means nothing.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36191
Sir Winston Churchill
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

:roflmao: funny child, now go play with your lego or something.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36207
Sir Winston Churchill
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

legos are too complicated for people like that.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36221
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

Mr Smith wrote: Well we get an email when we pm somebody so, if we pm everybody were shure to get some people and I'll do my best on advertising.
That's a good idea, but a bad one. We need advertisement of some sort.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36261
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

I'm on it. Well get some members...

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36270

Reaper

Post by Reaper »

Ok I got an idea! :booper: I used to go to a forum that had a "Trash" section. That's where all the off topic threads went, and there were no rules. You could spam all you wanted, and flame each other for fun, or really flame each other. I liked it. And so did most people there.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36319
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

So basically instead of deleting topics it would go in the trash? Hmm I could look into implimenting something like that, maybe. But then again we might as well just move them to the wlt.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36323
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

Red Squirrel wrote: So basically instead of deleting topics it would go in the trash?  Hmm I could look into implimenting something like that, maybe.  But then again we might as well just move them to the wlt.
Thats a good idea. Thats where I'd be all the time.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36329

MrSelf

Post by MrSelf »

There is nothing interesting to discuss here.

There is no intelligent conversation or debate, nothing to hold my interest here. I enjoy Science and Space, the old forum was somewhat active in that regard, but as it switched over, members were uninterested in this aspect. I quit posting as many topics others were uninterested in in fear of flooding the forum with topic overwhelmingly by me with no responses, as fcbayer has(at times duplicating old info).

I'm interested in computers, the section on computers has always been more advanced than my level, mainly because it's post have been geared more towards code and software than hardware. Spaz, Fragged and Magic kept that alive.

Music is my main interest, but music has always been a joke: few music fans post in there, there is little intelligent conversation, and no one is respectful of others opinions on something as subjective as music. It has been more successful as the media section, but that day is long past as well.

No one is interested in the News section, another interest of mine, and the Debate section has never been able to get far enough out of religious debate to actually debate anything of importance that wouldn't just end up at faith.

Overall, nothing that interest me is discussed here, and the things I do discuss often get flooded with opinions of those who are ignorance in the subject matter in discussion. I don't want to bore others, and I don't want to converse about non-sense all the time. I just seems like there is nothing worth talking about here by the members, and some of that is due to a low regular member count, but more of it has to do with the members and how they respond to each other, it seems.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2231, old post ID:36341