What are .bin files for?

Anything technology related that does not fit in other categories
Death

What are .bin files for?

Post by Death »

Oh ya, I never thought about the game backup purpose. Ya, that would make sense. I guess if you wanted to extract nintendo images from the rom...that's another use for them.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:25369
Pyr-O-Rgasm

What are .bin files for?

Post by Pyr-O-Rgasm »

I do own Sonic The Hedgehog, so me asking for the rom IS legal.

:o

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:25372
Red Squirrel

What are .bin files for?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Interesting I like a paddle better, I tried playing mario with the keyboard, I found it very hard to get past the first level. :D I should try to beat it all like that, for a new challenge. I guess we all have our ways of controlling. It's sort of on the back of my mind to go out and buy a USB paddle to play mario again. Good old classics. ;)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:25487
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
sintekk

What are .bin files for?

Post by sintekk »

Alternatively, you could just open up the .cue file in a cd drive emulating program (alcohol 52%)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:29361
upload420

What are .bin files for?

Post by upload420 »

ok i just want to tell you guys that if you have any ? about .bin files i am very very familiar with them and you don't have to burn them. The best way to open them and put them into an installable format would be to get a program called ISO buster or even WinRaR. I am a very large users of the .bin files and have never had to burn them onto a cd to get them to work. you can install a game on you harddrive directily from you hard drive. They tend to take up alot of space but that is why i carry 2 120GB hard drives And yeah .bin files are actually a little bigger than the files you extract from the .bin files. I have around 10 games on my pc that were originally .bin but i put them into there installable format and i just keep them on my harddrive even if there are not installed

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:31273
it's sad but it took me almost 20 years to find out who i was. only reason was alcohol made me become hiddin in myself and now being clean has brought the reall me to the surface
upload420

What are .bin files for?

Post by upload420 »

If anyone has ? or needs software used for .bin files just email me and i will be sure to do my best to solve them sean_forste420@hotmail.com

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:31274
it's sad but it took me almost 20 years to find out who i was. only reason was alcohol made me become hiddin in myself and now being clean has brought the reall me to the surface
Anonymous

What are .bin files for?

Post by Anonymous »

Hello everyday, I would appreciate very much if someone can help me because after reading the contents and the comments, I am still confused. See like anyone and everyone here, I have downloaded a game bit torrent and it's rar file. So I extracted the files inside and there is no .exe files but only .bin file (768MB) and .cue file (235 bytes). My PC tells me that the type of files is VLC media player but I don't understand how to use the 2 files. Even when I played the files using a VLC player, nothing happened. So what should I do? :unsure:

EDIT: Uhhh, I have read the .bin files need to be burned into CD to install the game but since mine is 768MB, how can I burn it in a disc? Also there is mention of emulator to run the files without burning to disc. Can recomemd any emulator or elaborate more on how to execute the files without burning?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:32105
manadren_it

What are .bin files for?

Post by manadren_it »

mdfmds are commonly used in Alcohol 120%. Similar to the Bincue format, it uses a large mdf file which contains the cd data and a small mds file that describes how that data should be read.

The reason the game won't work when you extract the files to your hard drive is because the game wasn't meant to work that way. I would suggest either (a) get daemon tools which will create a virtual drive you can load the mdsmdf files with or (B) get Alcohol 120% and burn the images to cds.

*cough* and I'm assuming this is a backup copy of a game you own, as this isn't a warez forum.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:33981
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
manadren_it

What are .bin files for?

Post by manadren_it »

I know this dan person is probably long gone by this point, but if you're not even going to make an attempt to learn this stuff on you're own, you really shouldn't be messing around with it. This guy obviously didn't even bother reading the article+thread.

That kind of crap annoys me to no end. Not only do they want something for nothing, they want tech support as well. Secondly, it goes along with a gneral rule that you shouldn't be downloading that kind of stuff without a certain basic level of computer knowledge. Those p2p networks are breeding grounds for all sorts of malicious software and scam artists, if you don't know what you're doing, you're just signing your own pc's death warrent, not to mention your bank account.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:34299
Red Squirrel

What are .bin files for?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah I can't stand how people use p2p networks unresponsbly and wonder why their computer is infested with crap.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:34300
Red Squirrel

What are .bin files for?

Post by Red Squirrel »

It's probably propiatary to the game, so when you open the game exe it opens the bin files as needed. Probably used to store textures and stuff.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:34320
manadren_it

What are .bin files for?

Post by manadren_it »

Wait. Was that an MPAA ip I just saw browsing this post? :evilsquirrel:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:34389
manadren_it

What are .bin files for?

Post by manadren_it »

I satnd by my comment. But anyway, saying "alcohol 120% didnt want to put them on cd for some reason", doesn't really tell me much. It could be a corrupt image, it could be a missing cue file, it could be you don't know what you downloaded, or it could be that you don't know how to use alcohol 120%. There's really no way for me to know. All I'll say for now is that I've burned Bin files without cues with CloneCD before. If you want anything else, I need some more info. Like what is it supposed to be? How big is the file? Did it come with a cueccdmds? Have you tried writng a cue file? Can you tell why alcohol won't burn it? etc.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:34408
Anonymous

What are .bin files for?

Post by Anonymous »

:banana: Here is a detailed solution for your question

Visit How to open bin file?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:37451
Anonymous

What are .bin files for?

Post by Anonymous »

:roflmao2:

Bin files and cue files can be burned by using burning tools such as nero or daemon tools

I have faced the problem like you and succeded after two days and explained step in the blog

How to open Bin file

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:37530
Anonymous

What are .bin files for?

Post by Anonymous »

here is a blog explains step by step procedure
http://howtoopenbinfile.blogspot.com

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2851, old post ID:37989
Anonymous

What are .bin files for?

Post by Anonymous »

the article availble in this forum is good