Server ping is misleading

UO Gateway Help and support requests as well as general discussions related to UO Gateway
UORevival

Server ping is misleading

Post by UORevival »

Hello there :)

I think it would be beneficial to place a prominent message regarding ping. Many players see the ping to a server and decide to play based off of what Gateway is displaying. My server is located in California and shows a consistent ping of 185. Servers closer to UOGateway (I'm assuming is on the east coast) are showing much less. I don't believe the average player browsing understands how the ping is generated.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:138, old post ID:459
Red Squirrel

Re: Server ping is misleading

Post by Red Squirrel »

Unfortunately there is not really a way around this without having a huge network of servers everywhere.  The ping is from Quebec so it will differ based on where shards are.  On the shard listing page it mentions this at the bottom.

The graph provides a good idea of overall stability, if the ping is constant it's good, if there are spikes it could mean a shard issue.

One thing I could possibly do at some point is rather than show the actual ping, I could keep a running average then show some kind of value that indicates if it's far or close to average.

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:138, old post ID:460
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
UORevival

Re: Server ping is misleading

Post by UORevival »

Thanks for the reply :)

Archived topic from UOG, old topic ID:138, old post ID:461