Nov 2 2020 - Misc quality of life update

Information on new updates to the shard as well as what's to come
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Greetings Aov Players, It has been a while since the last update! Today's update consists of quite a few minor game play enhancement updates. They are as follows:

- Reduced weight of gold by 1/10th. ex: 1,000 gold used to be 20 stone, it is now 2.

- Changed house decay timer from 500 days to 1826 (about 5 years, added extra day to account for leap year)
At some point I may want to go to a shorter decay but make it so the actual idoc can be somewhat player triggered after a given period and the items go to an auction or something. Ex: an IDOC would not happen until someone is there to benifit from it. But for now this is basically a way of making it a very long time without actually disabling it.

Note that given the state of the shard and lack of data to go on to compare, this is something kind of hard to test so I don't guarantee 100% the change worked, but it's literally just changing a number, so I can't see why it would not work. I still recommend you login and play for a little bit at least once a year to refresh houses that you want to keep.

- There is now a max follower slot bonus based on taming skill level. 105 and over will give you 6 total slots, while 115 or over will give you a total of 7 slots. The base max is still 5. This applies to pets as well as summons.

- Skill cap scrolls have been added as a champion spawn drop. The scrolls have a very small chance of dropping randomly as you are doing the spawn, just like scrolls of transcendence but with 1/2 the chance. In fel, they will drop with value of 5, and everywhere else with value of 1. The scrolls will let you bring your skill cap up to 800.

- Respawn rate for mining, lumberjacking and fishing has been lowered to be beween 5 and 10 minutes per vein, also they provide more resources per vein before they run out.

- When mining, lumberjacking, or fishing and your backpack is full, the resources now go at your feet. (I thought it was already this way but realized it was not)

- increased tile range for fishing from 4 tiles to 10.

- Reduced fishing delay from 8 to 3 seconds.

- Most artifact systems now give greater drop chance based on online count. 1 person online = 5x chance, 2-4 online = 3x chance, and 5 online = 2x chance. Anymore than that it's normal rate for that particular system. It's involved to start giving out percentages but some systems are affected better than others, for example in gaunt it pretty much works out that darkfather is 10% practically all the time if there are less than 5 people on. (10% is max)

- Tweaked drop rate for some artifact systems including making luck count more.

- Increase vendor range (ex: saying "bank" to open bank box). Technically should work with vendors too, but if there are more than one in range it seems it does not do anything, so this is mostly really for bank, and maybe stable.

- Energy vortexes now take only 1 slot. Also, when they spawn in llama form they will have beefier stats and perform basic mage skills. For this to work I had to switch their AI to the "super" one. This should not affect them too much in normal form as the AI still relies on skillset.

- Demitel bosses now have much less HP and mana.

- Deathblade summoners, which are NPC hireables that can be found around most cities, have been beefed up. They are NPCs that can help you fight in spawns. They are not super strong in of themselves, but if you manage to get one to summon deathblades they can be a great asset for champion spawns and perhaps even a boss if you are creative. When they get damaged they have a chance of summoning up to 5 deathblades, and also a small chance to make an existing one teleport to it's attacker. This may be tweaked over time if we feel they are TOO powerful, so they are a bit experimental. Please allow some time for these to be spawned in game.

- All levels of treasure map chests now have a chance of having an artifact and a 105 power scroll including crafting ones. The chance is based on level. Level 6 is guaranteed to have an artifact.

- Increased chance of smelting ore with increased mining skill.

- Mining power scrolls have been re-introduced in the mining bod quest system.

- If you take an empty pitcher and target a water elemental, it has a chance of converting it to an endless decanter of water. This special water pitcher as it's name implies has an endless supply of water. Every time you use it, there is a small chance however that it shatters.

- Did some code cleanup that was throwing compiler warnings. Some of which may have affected game play but there are too many to list, and it is mostly minor fixes.

Due to the nature of this update touching a lot of parts of the game, please do let me know if you notice anything off. I did test everything but there is always chance that there is something I overlooked. There is also a small chance of some of these being changed, or removed, if we feel it is too much or too little, but I don't anticipate that happening.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39546
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Just a heads up I did not do any further testing like I wanted to, my setup right now for shard coding is not the best as I run Linux and need a VM for the UO client, but the VM crashes a lot and the only way to get it going again is to reboot, which is a huge pain. I will probably do more testing when I can figure out the crash issue but I don't really anticipate any issues that would be very problematic so decided to release the update anyway.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39547
Nexus Graveheart

Post by Nexus Graveheart »

Yay! Thanks a bunch guys! Great quality of life stuff and it'll be nice to have some more stuff within reach when you're soloing.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39548
Daelan

Post by Daelan »

"- There is now a max follower slot bonus based on taming skill level. 105 and over will give you 6 total slots, while 115 or over will give you a total of 7 slots. The base max is still 5. This applies to pets as well as summons."

Ok will it work if you are using a item to gain Skill LV?

I ask because I was trying to tame some higher LV pets and I could try to tame it but never could I had taming at 100 and Bracelet that kicks it up to 120.
Then pushed up my taming to natural 120 and tamed the high LV in one try every time.
(Izzy and I wanted a pretty doggy to ride and heal us)

Side note--(I have a few of those laying around so it anyone would like one sound off. we can set up a time meet up and I will toss it to you)

Nice updates been insane with things to do so had not gotten to play much.
Anyone who wants to run around a bit toss a PM at me I have a Team-speak running on a private server in Detroit, we used to use the servers to run a few Day Z Mods that were really popular few years back.

Take care Guys and Gals
Daelan Darganel (Or Pat is fine)

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39552
Not Everday Will Someone Make You Happy
BUT
Everyday Someone Will Piss You Off
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

It should work. The slot count check basically happens if you try to tame or spawn something, so in theory you can use an item to bring your taming higher, have 6 followers then take the item off and it *should* be safe, but I would recommend to avoid that as it has not been fully tested long term. But I think the worse thing that can happen is you just won't be able to go back to 6 followers if you release/despawn something and try again.

Odd you were unable to tame it though, I would need to double check if there is anything that requires the real skill to be a certain level but I'm not aware of that.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39554
Shanks

Post by Shanks »

could you add a pentagram or something into luna, or you could just put a uh focus onto a gold stone vendor type of deal for x amount of gold.

also re-add soulstones and such.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39555
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm I thought there was one at the gate library, I can definitely add one somewhere.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39556
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

This makes me want to install UO on my new computer. :o:

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39558
I didn't choose the Fel life, the Fel life chose me.
Shanks

Post by Shanks »

figure I can keep this here in the thread, is there anyway to re-add some of the old lost tame ables? like the super good 1slot yoshis with high resists or if memory serves me correctly there was a crystalline dragon tamable with super duper hp for tanking. I know at some point we even had like prepatched AW's with 3/5 control slots or something I think or 5/5 even idr entirely

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39564
Daelan

Post by Daelan »

ggkthx wrote:This makes me want to install UO on my new computer. :o:
Make some room on the 12 Gb 5200 speed Hard drive, plug in your Atari 2600 Joystick for control and have at it LOL Will Windows NT run UO??? he he

Me and a buddy have a server we bought and run out of Detroit that we have a TS server always up and running.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39567
BUT
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmmm are Yoshies out of the game completely? I honestly don't remember. I see no reason why we can't add them back in with some stat revisions if needed.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39568
Daelan

Post by Daelan »

Red Squirrel wrote:Hmmm are Yoshies out of the game completely? I honestly don't remember. I see no reason why we can't add them back in with some stat revisions if needed.
I seen them in lost lands (Fel) not sure if they are the higher stat ones tho

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39569
BUT
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Oh ok yeah now I remember. I think that's normal then. We did lower the stats at one point, they were only really meant to be a novelty and not something super powerful. I can always look at revising the stats though.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39570
Death

Post by Death »

Red Squirrel wrote:Hmmm are Yoshies out of the game completely? I honestly don't remember. I see no reason why we can't add them back in with some stat revisions if needed.
Yes, they were plucked awhile back due to the naming, same situation as storm troopers.

Some of the sith stuff we reskinned as pirates but the yoshis never made it back in. I think it's safe to rename them and give them a more UO feel (ice ostard/zostrich, etc) and give them some additional love and potential rideable abilities similar to kirins/unicorns. I'll see if I can take a look.
Shanks wrote:figure I can keep this here in the thread, is there anyway to re-add some of the old lost tame ables? like the super good 1slot yoshis with high resists or if memory serves me correctly there was a crystalline dragon tamable with super duper hp for tanking. I know at some point we even had like prepatched AW's with 3/5 control slots or something I think or 5/5 even idr entirely
For the AWs we can substitute for greater dragons. I'm almost positive I was done with reviewing them and testing them out and just need to spawn them around the lands (if I haven't already). I'll check later today. The other tameables can be added, just need to review them and see where they should spawn or drop. If you can remember which ones there were that would help us locate them.

I'll add your post to the ongoing quality of life/suggestion thread located here: https://www.uovalor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6811

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6838, old post ID:39572