House IDOC system

Anything regarding UO or Age of Valor
Red Squirrel

House IDOC system

Post by Red Squirrel »

Been toying with the idea of changing house IDOC system slightly, just want to get some opinions and ideas you'd like to see.

As a start, I want to set it to 1 year instead of a few months (I think it's 3).

Maybe even 2 years. Given the low population of the shard it's not like housing plots are at a premium.

Another idea I've thought of is that instead of houses dropping when they go IDOC, they would go in some kind of auction state. People would have a month or so to bid, and the time would be extended by say, an hour, if someone else bids. If nobody bids, the house would just stay in that state indefinitly. If the owner comes back it would refresh. Even if there are bids it would refresh and cancel the auction.

This would basically make it less likely for people to lose their houses, while still ensuring that non returning member houses do eventually get removed.

I've kinda taken a break from coding so have no immediate plans to code something like this but figured I'd throw the idea out there. As a start I will extend the interval between refreshes though.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39269
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Death

House IDOC system

Post by Death »

Red Squirrel wrote:Been toying with the idea of changing house IDOC system slightly, just want to get some opinions and ideas you'd like to see.

As a start, I want to set it to 1 year instead of a few months (I think it's 3).

Maybe even 2 years. Given the low population of the shard it's not like housing plots are at a premium.

Another idea I've thought of is that instead of houses dropping when they go IDOC, they would go in some kind of auction state. People would have a month or so to bid, and the time would be extended by say, an hour, if someone else bids. If nobody bids, the house would just stay in that state indefinitly. If the owner comes back it would refresh. Even if there are bids it would refresh and cancel the auction.

This would basically make it less likely for people to lose their houses, while still ensuring that non returning member houses do eventually get removed.

I've kinda taken a break from coding so have no immediate plans to code something like this but figured I'd throw the idea out there. As a start I will extend the interval between refreshes though.
My thoughts, IDOC camping is very much a part of the game and some players enjoy the risk vs reward of waiting for a house to fall. I wouldn't want to take that away if there were any players who enjoyed doing so.

As an alternative, I would definitely say that the house decay timer should be increased. In the event a house drops and the items are not picked up, the items should be recycled and biddable in an auction. Those who managed to camp an IDOC would be able to claim their spoils but for houses that dropped where the items weren't claimed and decayed, these could be bundled up and bid on (kind of like storage wars).

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39270
Ixxie

House IDOC system

Post by Ixxie »

Could we maybe figure out why we lost houses that were definitely being refreshed? i'd have a lot more time to play if i didn't have to essentially start over...

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39274
Red Squirrel

House IDOC system

Post by Red Squirrel »

If I recall, for refresh to work you have to be logged in for a certain amount of time. I could probably change that.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39276
dprantl

House IDOC system

Post by dprantl »

Ixxie wrote:Could we maybe figure out why we lost houses that were definitely being refreshed? i'd have a lot more time to play if i didn't have to essentially start over...
I used to log in once every 2 months at least and stayed on for several hours, but Altar's houses still disappeared, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39277
Red Squirrel

House IDOC system

Post by Red Squirrel »

I do wonder if there may possibly be an issue because it seems most houses did drop, but it also has been really dead. If it's still set to 3 months then that can go by pretty fast and it's quite possible the code is working as intended, but I will have to review/test it anyway.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39278
Daelan

House IDOC system

Post by Daelan »

dprantl wrote:
Ixxie wrote:Could we maybe figure out why we lost houses that were definitely being refreshed? i'd have a lot more time to play if i didn't have to essentially start over...
I used to log in once every 2 months at least and stayed on for several hours, but Altar's houses still disappeared, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ixxie can just move in with me I'll build you a house
babe

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39295
Not Everday Will Someone Make You Happy
BUT
Everyday Someone Will Piss You Off
ggkthx

House IDOC system

Post by ggkthx »

I'd be strongly in favor of it, even with it being shortened again or reverted to normal if the population increased and it called for it, IF we still had anything to worry about decaying, but since it's all gone now I don't much care if houses ceased to exist every night at midnight. :(

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39325
I didn't choose the Fel life, the Fel life chose me.
Red Squirrel

House IDOC system

Post by Red Squirrel »

I did end up extending it to a year a while back. I think I went a bit over for good measure, but let's call it a year to be safe and consider the rest a grace period. :P

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6759, old post ID:39326