Scheduled shard restarts now implimented

Stay up to date with shard happenings
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I have decided to implement a scheduled restart as the shard seems to slow down after a while if it's been running too long. This is similar to "server wars" that we had in the early days, except there won't be a no save period. I have it set to give a 30 minute warning (allows you to finish anything you're doing etc) and then it will restart.

Currently I have them scheduled to happen at 8pm ET on Thursdays.

Also, if no one is online or everyone logs off, instead of counting down 30 minutes it will restart right away.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6717, old post ID:39118
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Death

Post by Death »

Might want to check with players but 8pm tends to be prime time for playing so might be preferable to schedule the restart at a time when it's least disruptive to playing, such as if players are in the middle of a boss or champ spawn. Mind you, if it's only on Thursdays that might not be too bad.

Is it something that can possibly be scheduled after hours at like 4am or is it something you want to be around to monitor?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6717, old post ID:39129
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I want to try to do it at a time that I'm more likely to be around, just in case something goes wrong.

Though I am open to slightly changing it. 4am would work if I'm on night shift but not so much if I'm on day shift. As I'd have to wait till like 7pm the following day before I can get to it.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6717, old post ID:39132
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

This has been working smoothly so far and given the more likely cause of failure is from non compiling code or something not loading right after an update and we usually do a separate reboot for updates anyway, I am thinking maybe it is indeed best to move it up to like 4am or something.

Leaving this open for suggestions for a better time or if everyone is happy with existing time. Keep in mind this is weekly and not daily. I'll keep it at 8pm otherwise.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6717, old post ID:39140